Internet Marketing encompasses a number of discrete disciplines ranging from SEO (Search Engine Optimization), SEM (Search Engine Marketing), Link Exchange, Blog Marketing, SMM (Social Media Marketing), and Online Advertising, among others. Before anyone embarks on this effort, your existing web sites should be carefully evaluated to see if tweaks to the existing site are enough or if your site will require a complete redesign to maximize the return on investment.
Imagine you're having a dinner party. You're investing in invitations, calls, maybe follow up calls and reminders to ensure your guests will arrive. But once they arrive, there's nothing for them to do, there's no food or liquor (the horrors!), and maybe they keep trying to open doors that go nowhere. Not a nice experience. Are you doing this to your prospects?
As part of this process, establish a baseline of analytics. Big word - basically just means data. You don't need a lot, but these are pretty important to establish before you launch anything new.
IMPORTANT BASELINE DATA TO COLLECT:
- TRAFFIC: Total unique visitors
- TIME ON SITE: This is the metric that Facebook is famous for. Time on Site shows visitors are reading and engaging. You want this as high as possible.
- % INTERNATIONAL: % of visitors from specific regions - base this on where your business focus is.
- % BOUNCEBACKS: To determine the amount of traffic that showed up, realized your site wasn't what the were searching for and left.
- KEYWORDS: Self-determined. Where do you rank when searching for your SEO keyword terms via google, bing, yahoo? Cross match this with what organic searched are actually driving traffic, but eliminate all keywords built on brand or company names (for this purpose).
- FB FANS: # fans who've liked your Facebook Page. You could also mention #messages by non employees to measure engagement.
- LI MEMBERS: # members to your Linkedin Group and/or Profile.
- TWITTER FOLLOWERS: # members to your Twitter Profile, and sweet fancy moses, make sure you get some sort of twitter verification service to keep spammers out of your follower list. You want real traffic from real people.
- SMM TRAFFIC: By reading your analytics, you can determine the source for traffic by searching for facebook, linkedin, twitter, and the rest of the social media and web sites. Interestingly, Stumbleupon comes up higher than you'd think. You might want to invest some time there...Break these out by site.
- BACKLINKS: You want to know who and what quality sites are linking back to your site. This gives you credibility to search engines.
ESTABLISH MEASURABLE GOALS:
- Drive traffic to the web site, increasing unique visitors by 10% each month. (EX: Month 1=100, Month 2=110, Month 3=121)
- Drive international traffic to the sites, to ultimately eclipse domestic traffic. Increase international traffic by 10% each month.
- Decrease the bounceback from 78% to 45% of visitors within six months.
- Increase the search keyword universe to include organic search terms beyond branding – 2 additional non-brand keywords or phrases added to top 100 search terms each month.
- Increase fans/members/followers to social media sites by 5% each month.
- Demonstrate traffic increases from social media efforts – increase traffic sources from social sites by 5% each month.
- Increase Google PageRank from 2 to 3.
- Increase backlinks by 20 per month.